Pics from Playoteket

New 93/94 groups seems to be popping up around the world. The second old school tournament in Northern California will take place this weekend, the first article from Chicago was posted at Eternal Central last week, two weeks ago the first tournament in Scania took place at Playoteket, and I hear whispers from players in France. I thought about having a section on this page with e-mails to representatives of play groups (or people who just want to play) in the different cities in order to facilitate connecting the local communities. If you're looking for local players in your area, please send me an e-mail at delaval@gmail.com with some basic info about where you play and if you use some local rules (e.g. different B/R list than the suggestion found here), and I'll try to compile a list :)

Today is about the Scania players though. Before this summer, 93/94 in Scania have mostly been represented by the player Axelsson. Axelsson have been travelling north to participate at BSK, n00bcon, Kingvitational and Warcon during the last year. It looks like he is starting to get some more local opponents now though. Niclas "Arkanon" Johansson arranged the first 93/94 tournament at Playoteket two weeks ago. He recently sent me some pictures from the event, and a short introduction of himself and old school magic in Scania:

I started playing around the release of Revised myself. I played quite a bit with the old cards, but thought Magic felt washed out after a while, and I eventually quit all together. An old friend recently got me to relapse into the game, but I found modern Magic fairly unexciting. I then got informed about the wonderful 93/94-format by Axelsson a year ago. I had bought 6 of the Powercards for peanuts a decade ago, but I never thought I would have a chance to use them like before again. But this is an awesome format! I fell for it immediately, and have recently obtained the full P9, a majority of the Unlimited duals, and a lot of the casual staple cards. Now we're trying to connect with the standard/legacy players who started around rev/4th and see if they want to give the format a try. The soul of old magic has awaken again, and many players have showed interest! We just recently started playing down here, and everything is still in its infancy, but we're at least 9-10 players at this point, and I think we'll be 10+ at the next tournament!


Eneas who won the tournament with his Crusade(WW) meets Kimmuz who plays a WG aggrodeck.
Tobgoblin played UGB Control with Counters, Control Magic and flying heavy hitters like Mahamoti's.
Quorthon playing RG-beatdown whith Erhnams and a Shivan Dragon against Tobgoblin. Both are 93/94 Players from Ystad in Southern Sweden.
Who's the beatdown?
Rednekk, another player from Ystad who plays a BR Underworld Dreams deck, totally crushed Arkanon's Ivory Tower deck. Both decks had 4 Howling Mines...
Liac who plays MonoBlack, has an interesting game against Mayie's RW bolt/aggro. Eventually Mayie won after 3 hard matches.
Liac won this game against Mayie though, maybe not surprising...

It looks like a really fun meta, and I hope I get the chance to play against these guys in the future! The two top performing decks have been posted in the Decks-to-beat section for your viewing pleasure, one WW deck and one TaxEdgeGeddon. Wall of Putrid Flesh seems like a solid sideboard card :)

Kommentarer

  1. Nice nice nice 8) And congrats to Eneas!

    To bad I couldn't join you guys at Playoteket, I really wanted to try my new deck out.

    /axelsson

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hey Axelsson, there will always be more time for magic later =)
    Too bad you couldnt come. On the bright side though most of us newly embraced 93/94 players have started to rebuild decks for the format with some interesting new ideas!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Birds of Paradise(BIRD!), Air Elemental, and braingeyser at the sam side, i want decklist! :D // Jhovalking

    SvaraRadera
  4. I borrowed cards from Arkanon and crafted this deck. It felt very solid but in hindsight I would make some changes.
    I "think" this is the list, not quite sure. ;)
    But Arkanon has a picture of the deck if you really want to see it!

    4x Birds of Paradise
    2x Air Elemental
    2x Mahamoti Djinn
    1x Serendib Efreet
    2x Fastbond
    2x Paralyze
    3x Control Magic
    1x Animate Dead
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Greed
    1x Energy Flux
    4x Counterspell
    1x Mana Drain
    4x Boomerang
    1x Ancestral Recall
    1x Timetwister
    1x Regrowth
    1x Recall
    1x Braingeyser
    2x Terror
    1x Nevinyrral's Disk
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Black Vise
    1x Dark Heart of the Wood
    4x Island
    1x Forest
    4x Bayou
    3x Underground Sea
    4x Tropical Island
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Mishra's Factory
    1x Maze of Ith


    Sideboard:
    4x Crumble
    1x Energy Flux
    3x Gloom
    1x Control Magic
    2x Terror
    2x Hurkyl's Recall
    2x Animate Dead

    First I would remove all the pain from the deck. I really needed the life to tempo against the faster decks and I pretty much never got to use greed and the single serendib really became a liability.
    Secondly I would remove the timetwister. More often then not I could not cast it due to going up against aggro or bolts and it would have killed me. Think I casted it once during the four matches.

    Otherwise there would just be a few tweaks I would do to this deck. But by far the hardest thing to handle with it was amassed factories!

    The deck went 3 wins then lost horrible in the fourth and last match against the landsedgegeddon deck.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Argh of course I had a demonic tutor in there and wasnt sure about the vise. So replace the Vise with a tutor ;)

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar