Abusing Fork

I first though about writing a post on the Ali from Cairo deck from my German Magic deck books, but after reading the first few chapters of Stephen Menendian's History of Vintage (http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=3289, well worth a few bucks), I felt that I wanted to share Mark Chalice awesome Fork Recursion deck:

Instants(9)
4 Fork
1 Ancestral Recall
2 Mana Drain
2 Storm Seeker

Sorceries(12)
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mind Twist
1 Braingeyser
1 Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Channel
1 Regrowth
1 Stream of Life
1 Wheel of Fortune
2 Fireball

Enchantments (5)
1 Copy Artifact
3 Fastbond
1 Dark Heart of the Wood
Artifacts(13)
4 Howling Mine
1 Chaos Orb
1 Mirror Universe
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring

Lands(21)
2 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Badlands
3 City of Brass
4 Taiga
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
3 Volcanic Island
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Strip Mine


This deck is one of the main reasons that Fork has been restricted up until now (and one of the reasons it was restricted in 95). As the deck contains Dark Heart of the Wood, we can be certain that Viktor "Oldschool" Peterson would build some strange version of this deck (presumably with a Gravity Sphere combo as alternative wincon though).

Viktor. Abusing Dark Heart of the Wood since '95
For other players, this deck also looks like a proper alternative to the other really powerful control decks. Apart from playing most of the restricted list, this deck can fairly consistantly gain as many turns as desired. Once you start forking Time Walks and Twisters, you'll eventually reach a point where you have multiple Forks, Time Walk and Regrowth; with the Howling Mines you'll abuse your extra turns even more. Eventually you'll win using a combination of Ancestral, Fork and Storm Seeker. This deck is ridiculously awesome, but still it might be too powerful to allow an unrestriction of Fork in the future.


In other news, I've got a few new cards to my blue/black deck, in particular another beta disk, a City of Brass and a Mirror Universe. I really like Mirror Universe, and I feel like it's one of the old legendary cards, alongside cards like Juzam and the power cards. I also find it amusing that it is very close to broken in 93/94, and completely unplayable in all other formats. With a few additions coming up in the next few weeks, I'll have a list completed before n00bcon. It still lacks around 15-20 card before I'll feel it's finished (it currently lack any power, any duals, workshop, drain, juzam, and more), but it is at a point where I feel I can sit back and pick up the last cards when I have money and opportunity. It'll probably take a year and a half more to finish.

Next weekend I'm going on a conference somewhere, but the weekend after that I hope to have a chance to tweak my orb-flipping skills back in Regensburg again. Less than three weeks until I'm back in my favourite pub in Sweden and get to play sweet dudes from all over the country in n00bcon 5!

Kommentarer