Gothenburg Invitiational and ramblings

Last weekend I attended the first Gothenburg Invitational 93/94 tournament in Gothenburg. It was a smashing event, hosted by the Master of enchantments and fine beer that is Kenneth Mossberg.
Åland builds his Moat with open containers. The lions are at bay.
I'm showing up to battle with flying 2/2s and the old fashion four-eyes look.
Kalle lucks his way to yet another final win. He has now won three of the last four big tournaments he has played. Soon I can't attribute it to just luck anymore.
Mid-nineties Swedish champion Nikolai "Now" Weibull beating down with goblins.
Not Dead Guy Ale, but Undead Party Crasher Porter maybe? Made it to top4 at least :)
The event was streamed live at twitch, and there might be some videos coming up in the future. The commentator had gotten a cold though, so instead of doing his job he sleeved up The Gun and drank cinnamon whisky. It might still be watchable if you are deep in the 93/94 mire :)

And this is going on:
I've started the signing and packing process for the #MtgForLife cards now. Again, for those of you who asked, the cards are all from my own collection and all of the money we've raised will go directly to MSF (apart from possibly transfer fees and such). And thanks again for all the backing, I'm really proud of what we've done! I realized that there was some issue with the shipping information for the "Fetcher" perk, so I'll be sending an email to the forty of you soon to make sure that I get your correct addresses. Might take some time before I get it all set up and sent though, there was a lot of good people backing and the cards in the picture is far from all I'll be bringing to the post office.

It's quite a lot on the plate right now other than Magic, so I'll keep it reasonably short today. If you urge for some sweet tech, I'll be updating the Decks to Beat section with the decks from the Joypad Open, Wexio, Moss and BSK tournaments in the next couple of days. Before that though, I highly recommend checking out Christopher Cooper's article at manaleak.com about getting into the format on a budget. The UK players permit a few more reprint sets (from 94-95), but the ideas about deck building and budgeting are great regardless of where your group chose to draw the line. Well, at least up to the point where you would start playing with Blood Moon from Modern Masters and Serendib Efreet from From the Vault, but at that point I think you'd be doing Old School blatantly wrong ;)
You are awesome btw @Oldschoolmtg :)

Kommentarer

  1. Pretty flavorful to build your own Moat with bottles and drinking Fireball when playing a deck that mainly wins with fireball :) /Åland

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hey Mg, MtgForLife contributor here. A couple friends and I are just starting to get into the format casually, and independently came up with the same proxy rule as the manaleak article, to help us get ramped up (I've actually been playing since Revised, but never really owned much from prior sets).

    Anyway, we've decided that our initial rule will be that Revised duals + 10 other proxies will be allowed (proxies must be old border and original art). Furthermore, all proxies must have some sort of shaming, self-deprecating statement written on them in permanent marker (on the card or on the sleeve). Examples include "I suck at Magic," "I prefer combat damage on the stack," "I only drink NA beer," etc... the idea being to provide additional incentive to upgrade to the legal versions.

    Thanks for the post!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Haha, sweet! Casually is the only way one should start to get into the format ;) I'm a big fan of friendly trashtalk, and that sounds like a nice solution to both keep ambience casual and to bypass some of the highest entry barriers.

      Radera
  3. Any idea when the videos might be uploaded?

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hi, Chris Cooper here, thanks for mentioning my article.

    As crazy as it sounds I'll actually be using my old school decks as a way of introducing someone to Magic next week. I got asked for a demo game and those are the two least broken decks I own where you actually get to play Magic.

    Dredge doesn't seem good as a first game deck ...

    SvaraRadera
  5. Hi, Chris Cooper here, thanks for mentioning my article.

    As crazy as it sounds I'll actually be using my old school decks as a way of introducing someone to Magic next week. I got asked for a demo game and those are the two least broken decks I own where you actually get to play Magic.

    Dredge doesn't seem good as a first game deck ...

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar