A casual report of HUVUDTURNERINGEN

During the n00bcon weekend, a second smaller tournament was held at the time of the world championship top8. This tournament was referred to by the participants as HUVUDTURNERINGEN ("The Main Tournament"). The winner was no one else than Robert Schram, aka the winner of BSK 2011 as well as the finalist of n00bcon 2012 (among other achievements). Robert wrote a short tournament report yesterday, and I felt it needed to be shared. This report was originally written in Swedish by Robert, and I can only take credit for the translation and image texts. /MG

It was finally time to travel to n00bcon 5: World Championships 2013! This report is not about the world champs tournament however, but about the side event known as The Headless One's MAIN TOURNAMENT 2013.

Due to conflicting schedules with my work, I wasn't able to get away in time to participate in the n00bcon tournament. Regardless, I decided to travel down to Gothenburg to drink a few beers, hang out with good people, and perhaps get the chance to turn some magic pictures sideways.

Pictures like these, brah!
 I arrived at Rotary Pub just before 6 PM. The last round was just finishing up, and the cut for top8 was soon to be announced. Me and some of the players who didn't make the cut decided to hold a side event tournament, which we simply called THE MAIN TOURNAMENT. For this tournament, we also decided to play without sideboards. My deck of choice was one of my simpler decks, aimed for casual gaming (I currently support 10 different 93/94 decks).


CREATURES(19)
4 Kird Ape
2 Dragon Whelp
1 Force of Nature
3 Scryb Sprites
2 Scavenger Folk
2 Elves of Deep Shadow
2 Erhnam Djinn
3 Llanowar Elves


SORCERIES (12)
4 Chain Lightning
3 Fireball
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Mind Twist
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Channel
1 Regrowth
INSTANTS (9)
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Fork
2 Giant Growth
2 Berserk


ARTIFACTS (2)
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Ruby


LANDS (18)
2 City of Brass
4 Taiga
4 Forest
5 Mountain
1 Strip Mine
1 Hammerheim
1 Pendelhaven

"We may have missed the t8, but you're still MY BEST FRIEND!"
Game 1: Opponent: GaJol
The deck immediately showed that it was capable of winning. I won the last duel with Force of Nature into GiantGrowth-Berserk-Berserk. Game 2-0!
Looks like GaJol is on top of this game though.
Game 2: Opponent: Glennisch
The deck worked like a charm once again. These duels were even tighter than in the first Game.
We also drank quite a bit of Fireball during this game.
"I may have beaten you this game, but nothing can beat OUR FRIENDSHIP!"
Game 3: Opponent: JhovalKing
And once again the deck delivers. In the last game JohvalKing is killed by his own Juzam. This game was nothing but really tight duels. 2-0 again.

JohvalKing on Fire!
Three rounds and 3-0 takes me to the top4. I celebrated this with a beer.

Semi finals: Opponent: Glennish
My memory is giving up on me here, but I do remember that we had a hilarious match. We also drank more Fireball. This was a very tight game. I won with 2-1.
At this point of an evening, you may start referring to Kird Ape as Kidr Ape.
Finals: Opponent: Egget
Duel 1: It starts with me playing small guys and Pendelhaven. When egget finally gets some answers (like Icy), he's in bolt range. 1-0.
Duel 2: It get an awesome Channel-Fireball start, but egget responds with a Lightning Bolt and I lose. We laughed quite a lot here :)
Not every Fireball serves you well.
 Duel 3: I'm the beatdown, egget is on a dangerously low life total when he stabilizes and starts his own Mishra beatdown. Egget is on 1 life, with me on 7, and he attacks with three mishras to hit me for 6. For some reason he didn't attack with his 4th Mishra... :) I'm down on one life, and egget plays regrowth for Fireball, and casts Fireball for 1. I respond by tapping my only two mountains and play Fork. Egget realizes he doesn't have mana up for a Mana Drain and I manage to win!
The glorious prize!
 I'd like to thank everybody for an awesome tournament, and I really hope we'll get together for some 93/94 again soon!

//Robban "666killer666" Schram

Kommentarer